Friday, August 21, 2009
I have been blessed with good skin almost my whole life. I have my parents to thank for that. Birth control also works wonders too for some reason! My only "real" skin problem is having dry skin that sometimes makes me itch so bad I leave red claw marks but this is on my back and I am going to focus on my face for this post. I only had a few break-outs when I was in high school and that was normally due to the infamous hairspray on the bangs, although mine were never the half up and half down variety.
I think smoking, lack of sunscreen and not washing your face at night are the biggest culprits to bad skin. I have never been a regular smoker, I gave up tanning beds in high school, I try to at least wipe the make-up off my face every night, and use good skin products - not expensive, just good.
So for all of you who have never asked my opinion, here are my rules and regimen for good young skin.
1. ALWAYS use sunscreen on your face. My daily lotion has SPF 15. Always have some in your car or purse, just in case.
2. NEVER go to the tanning bed. Get a spray tan instead.
3. If you go out in the sun, use a high level sunscreen. For me, I burn even with 30 on. Apply and re-apply regularly.
4. Don't smoke. It ages you.
5. Use a good regenerating moisturizer and/or serum at night.
6. Use a brand and product that makes your skin feel good.
Since I have been in high school I have been using Oil of Olay. I have strayed a few times but always end up back with them. Yes, there are other brands good or better, it has just been a brand that works for me AND my budget. I would love it if were not tested on animals but when I went the Kiehl's and Origins route, my skin wouldn't stop breaking out.
Now that I am 30, almost 31, this is what I do everyday.
1. Wash face with Olay Regenerist Pore Refining Cleanser
2. A few times a week I use Kiehl's Exfoliating Wash with Pineapple & Papaya
3. After washing, I use Clinique Toner to get leftover dirt and it feels fresher afterwards
4. A few times a week I use Olay Serum
5. Clinique All About Eyes - very important for my dark circles!!
6. Olay Total Effects Lotion with SPF 15 on face and neck
1. Wash off make-up with Ponds cleansing cloths
2. Use Clinique Toner to get the leftover dirt
3. Most nights I use, Olay Serum but not every night
4. Clinique All About Eyes - very important for my dark circles!!
5. Olay Regenerist Night Cream on face and neck
Wow, after writing it out, I never realized how many steps it took to care for my face! I'm curious, what are your go-to skin products and tried and true skin care regimen.
Note - I HATED my smile back in high school so this was the picture I chose for the yearbook but I think my Mom has the nicest of the pictures.